The Service Desk Technician is part of a team responsible for serving as the first point of contact for customers inquiring about technical service requests either over the phone or through email in a professional and timely manner. This relates to all technology to include workstations, servers, printers, networks, and vendor-specific hardware and software.
Key Elements of the Role
Being on the front line of our Service Desk team, this role requires the necessary technical skills to understand and fix the day to day computer and network issues, coupled with the ability to exhibit a friendly customer-focused attitude both in person and on the phone. Additionally, you will:
- Provide IT support relating to technical issues involving Microsoft's core business applications and operating systems.
- Support and facilitate disaster recovery solutions.
- Deliver technical support as the network level: WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls and security.
- Provide remote access solution implementation and support: VPN Terminal Services, and Citrix.
- Review and report on the remote monitoring and management system alerts and notifications and respond accordingly through service tickets.
- Maintain system documentation and review in ConnectWise system.
- Communicate with customers keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes, and agreed outages.
- Build effective rapport with customers by understanding their IT needs and providing effective resolutions to challenges and concerns.
- Identify and resolve root cause customer issues.
- Continually strive to improve customer service, perception and overall customer satisfaction.
- Promote fast and efficient solutions to customer requests.
- Escalate service requests that require engineer-level support in a timely manner.
- Perform remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and by asking pertinent questions.
- Clearly walk the customer through the problem-solving process.
- Enter all work as service tickets into ConnectWise system timely and proficiently.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned.
Experience and Background Required
- BA/ BS, preferably in computer science or related field or equivalent.
- One year of experience providing IT support in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Developed understanding of operating systems, business applications, printing systems, and network systems.
- Excellent organizational skills; enthusiasm for multi-tasking.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing. The ability to demonstrate active listening and customer care.
- Technical awareness; the ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately.
- A solid understanding of the organization's key services and proactively seeking ways to meet customer needs to provide positive resolution.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and analyzes problems, sorts through information to identify accuracy, evaluates solutions and alternatives, resulting in making effective recommendations.
- Customer Satisfaction - Provides and delivers professional, helpful, high-quality service and assistance to ensure customer's needs are met and exceeded.
- Results Driven – Creates and drives a culture that is solutions-focused, builds cooperation, encourages teamwork, and resolves conflict effectively.
- Building Coalitions – Builds partnerships, collaborating and leveraging team talent to meet and exceed team and company goals. Works with other departments, contractors, and staff to ensure excellent customer service.
Goals for this Role
- To provide the best customer experience by resolving issues timely and professionally.
- To ensure accurate tracking of customer requests.
- Effectively communicate escalate customer issues to team and leader.
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements
- Physical: Must be able to sit for a number of hours, climb stairs, walk to other workstations and equipment, and do repetitive motions when using equipment such as a telephone, calculator, or computer. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Sensory: Must be able to hear, read, write and speak clearly to effectively communicate in person and via telephone.
- Mental: Must be able to perform complex or varied tasks; effectively influence or redirect staff on a consistent basis; ability to understand directions; make generalizations, evaluations, or decisions without immediate supervision; accept and carry out responsibilities.